Please read the Summer School FAQs posted in left menu
Mon. June 26- Fri. Aug. 4
Students work from any location with Internet access (M-F), and at anytime of the day, to meet posted assignment and assessment submission deadlines. Students spend an average of 4-6 hours per day per course. Course orientation, midterm, SOL, and final exams are in-person and ONLY on the dates announced. We cannot meet individually with students who are not present on these days.
For more information on how VHS@PWCS works please view the presentation for students and parents linked in the homepage menu.
TWO REQUIRED ORIENTATIONS: "PROGRAM" & "COURSE"
(1) ONLINE Program orientation is available: June 20 - June 26. Students complete three mini-lessons and online learning readiness indicator inside their course online. Students can start and stop and can complete these anytime during this window. Students must pass the associated program orientation quizzes with 100% with unlimited attempts. Courses are not listed in the student's course selection menu and are unavailable before June 20th.
(2) IN-PERSON Course orientation is considered the first day of school and will take place on Monday June 26th at Battlefield High School in the Auditorium and Computer Labs: 15000 Graduation Dr. Haymarket VA 20169. *EXCEPTIONS: OPHS Jump Start Students will attend orientation at OPHS - this is ONLY if you are enrolled in a Jump Start section of Eng. 12/Govt. with a signed contract on file at OPHS. PSHS EPF FLEX students will meet at Potomac HS - only if you have a signed contract on file and are enrolled in that course section*
If a student is unable to attend the course orientation, they should login that day to complete all items online. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that students attend in person this day. Parent attendance is optional but encouraged. We do have a video presentation of the VHS overview provided to parents at orientation linked in our video section on the website homepage.
Course Orientation Session Times (attend in-person):
*Please note the correct session for your course.
*If you are taking two courses, you should attend both, and if they are at the same time, split your time between the two.
*Tuition must be received on or before this day. If you are bringing your money order or cashiers check with you, please read the tuition link under "about VHS" to have it ready to turn in and arrive early to stand in line
SESSION ONE - BATTLEFIELD HS - Monday 6/26: 1:30 - 3:30
HPE (all) I and II
USE DOOR 4 to enter and exit building - (plan to attend the entire session) -arrive early if paying tuition:
English/Language Arts (all): 9, 10, 11, 12 *Osbourn Park JumpStart Eng. 12 students will meet at OPHS
Social Studies (all):
World History, US History, Government *Osbourn Park JumpStart Govt. students with a contract on file at their base school will meet at OPHS
SESSION TWO - BATTLEFIELD HS - Monday 6/26: 4:00 - 6:00
USE DOOR 4 to enter and exit building - (plan to attend the entire session) -arrive early if paying tuition:
Economics and Personal Finance (*NOTE: Potomac HS Flex students will have orientation at Potomac HS and will likely have two sections at different times - an email will be sent from the teacher with details)
Science (all): Earth Science, Astronomy, Biology and Chemistry
World Language (all): Spanish I, II, III and Latin I, II
Math (all): Algebra I, II, Geometry, AFDA
The course instructor will send a welcome email with specifics before the course begins.
Holiday: July 4th
End First Marking Period: July 5th
WITHDRAWAL: July 7th is the last day to withdraw without grade penalty. No refunds are issued for summer session due to the accelerated pace and teacher/student staffing ratios.
HPE II Drivers Education Classroom Course Options:
(1) In Person (*recommended): July 7, July 10-14 7:30-12:30 at either Patriot HS or Forest Park HS. Instructed by VHS HPE teacher. Students taking this course will remain in their DE classroom on the 14th to complete their midterm exam. Registration and payment for the DE course takes place on July 7th at the chosen location. let your instructor know your choice and bring a money order for $100 on 7/7.
**The MANDATORY 90 minute parent/student meeting for drivers education will be Weds. July 12, 2017 @ 7 pm. If the student and parent do not attend this meeting no credit can be given for the course.
(2) Online: If a student cannot do the in-person DE course option, they can choose to register with the VADETS program and take the course online separately from VHS. Please be sure the course is completed per the instructor's deadline. We do not offer technical support for VADETS. Cost: $109 paid to VADETS. The mandatory parent/student meeting can be done online.
If the student is not 15 years old before the course starts, they can still complete the classroom drivers education since they are enrolled in the HPE II course. This course is NOT behind the wheel instruction
Mid-Term Exam - Friday July 14th - Battlefield HS unless otherwise noted. PHOTO ID REQUIRED
*Students can choose to take their exam on either date - the 14th or the 17th.
PLEASE USE DOOR 4 AT BATTLEFIELD HS TO ENTER AND EXIT THE BUILDING - LAB ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE POSTED IN THE HALLWAY ENTRANCE OF DOOR 4.
- 2:00 start time: English, Social Studies, and HPE (see exception noted below for HPE II/DE students) If you are taking two courses, and they are both scheduled at the same time, you must take one exam on the 17th at the makeup.
*Location Exceptions: HPE II students taking drivers education at either PTHS or FPHS will remain at that location after the final DE course on 7/14 to take their midterm. OPHS Jump Start Students will test at OPHS, see your course homepage for time.
- Any student needing IEP accommodations, such as extra time, small group or read aloud, should report to lab 1003 in the 4:00 session regardless of the course they are taking.
- 4:00 start time: Economics/Personal Finance, Math, Science, and World Language. If you are taking two courses, and they are both scheduled at the same time, you must take one exam on the 17th at the makeup. PSHS EPF Flex students will test at PSHS, see your course homepage for time.
*(Any student with IEP accommodations should report to this exam session or the 2:00 session on Monday in Lab 1003 across from the main entrance in lobby).
Mid-Term Make-Up Exam - Monday July 17 -Battlefield HS -- ALL COURSES 2:00 - LAB # posted by DOOR 4 -Bring Photo ID
*(Any student with IEP accommodations should report to Lab 1003 across from the main entrance in lobby).
**NOTES: Students MUST attend one of these exams or be PRE-approved to take the exam from a remote location on the same date with an approved proctor (in advance). There are NO OTHER OPTIONS for exams during the summer session. Students MUST test on either the 15th or 18th.
Accommodations: If a student requires small group testing, or to have their exam read to them, per an IEP, the documentation must be provided at the beginning of the session and the VHS instructor must be informed in advance so we can staff appropriately - these students should test in the session noted above.
Plan Ahead for Success!!
English 11 Writing SOL Exam: Multiple Choice TBD, Essay TBD - 2:00 at Battlefield HS - Student MUST ATTEND BOTH DAYS to complete the SOL writing requirement. Makeups TBD.
End Third Marking Period: July 25th
PHOTO ID REQUIRED - PLEASE ENTER THROUGH DOOR 4 BATTLEFIELD HS
SOL Exam dates and times are noted below. Please plan now to attend your SOL exam on the date posted. All SOL exams are proctored at Battlefield HS and students must have a PHOTO ID. If you have previously passed the SOL for your course, you cannot retake it, you must take the final exam. If a student passes the SOL exam DURING THE SESSION, they will receive an exemption on their final exam, but must still complete the work during the final week of the course.
All exams start promptly at 2:00 and lab locations will be posted in the lobby at Battlefield HS by Door 4. Dates and times could change depending on final enrollment numbers and building use availability:
- Eng. 11 Writing MC: TBD (The writing exams are typically the week following midterms)
- Eng. 11 Writing Essay: TBD
- Eng. 11 Writing makeups: TBD
- Eng. 11 Reading: TBD (all non-writing exams are typically the week before final exams)
- Science and Social Studies: (includes Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, US/VA History, World History I and II) TBD
- Math:(includes Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry) TBD
- Make up date for all non-writing and 2nd attempt writing (seniors only on writing): TBD & TBD (this will be confirmed the week of testing)
- Expedited Retakes: (this is only if a student fails within the ER range - you will be notified if you qualify for a retake) TBD
Summer School Graduation: Thursday Aug. 3 @ Gar-Field HS -- students MUST submit intent to graduate form to the traditional summer school office the FIRST WEEK of classes. Seniors participating in the ceremony must take their final exam(s) early (Mon 7/31 2:00 Battlefield HS) *NO other students are permitted to test on this date. We are staffed only to proctor those participating in the ceremony.
Final Exams: Thursday or Friday Aug. 3-4
NOTES: Final Grades are posted by 5:00 pm on the 4th - no extensions will be granted - students who miss their final exam will have a 0% calculated into their final grade. If a student passes the SOL during the session, they can choose to be exempt from their final exam. Students who previously passed their SOL must take the final exam.
Thursday Aug. 3rd - PHOTO ID REQUIRED -:
*Students can choose to take their exam on either date - the 3rd or the 4th - unless using an external proctor - must complete exam by 4 pm on 4th.
PLEASE USE DOOR 4 AT BATTLEFIELD HS TO ENTER AND EXIT THE BUILDING
- 2:00 start time: English, Social Studies, and HPE.
- If you are taking two courses, and they are both scheduled at the same time, you must take one exam on the 4th at the makeup. *Location Exceptions: OPHS Jump Start Students will test at OPHS, see your course homepage for time.
- 4:00 start time: Economics/Personal Finance, Math, Science, and World Language.
- If you are taking two courses, and they are both scheduled at the same time, you must take one exam on the 4th at the makeup. PSHS EPF Flex students will test at PSHS, see your course homepage for time.
Friday Aug. 4th: ALL COURSES 2:00 LAB # posted at Door 4. Photo ID Required
**NOTES: Students MUST attend one of these exams or be PRE-approved to take the exam from a remote location on the same date with an approved proctor (in advance). There are NO OTHER OPTIONS for exams during the summer session. Students MUST test on either the 3rd or 4th.
Accommodations: If a student requires small group testing, or to have their exam read to them, per an IEP, the documentation must be provided at the beginning of the session and the VHS instructor must be informed in advance so we can staff appropriately.